Oh the days.... isn't it amazing how music can take you back? Not only does a song maybe spark a moment, or a memory, but for me it brings back smells, scenery, specific details like a fly on a wall. Exact dates, exact feelings, some good, some bad, but just for a split 2 minutes and 14 seconds, a song can take you back to that night where you were driving around with your bestie, singing at the top of your lungs to a mindless pop song. It can be that one in a million moment recreated when the 4 of you pulled out guitars and made musical magic....it can be that time where you poured your heart out and the presence of God flooded you as tears streamed down your face. It can be that song the first time you kissed the person you were to spend the rest of your life with...we each have our own soundtrack.....and as I was sitting here, with my newest discovery...Spotify....I found myself going back...finding songs I hadn't heard in years, going back to places I had forgotten I had been....and I decided to create my own personal soundtrack, and I figured i'd share a few and why:
1. Wham! Wake me up before you Go Go - This song is first for two reasons. It is the first song I remember knowing. It came out in 1984 and I remember loving that crazy song, and it stayed with me for the majority of my life. As I became and adult, by Bestie and I shared a mutual affection for the dynamic duo and it became one of our many, yet main theme songs. Wham! Wake me Up before You Go Go
2. Pearl Jam. Yellow Leadbetter - If you know me you know that this song is on every random cd that I have ever made. What is so special about this song, is that it not only is another favorite song shared by my bestie and me, there was this magical moment in time where there was an apartment in Austin, 3 guitars and a perfect rendition of this song sang beautifully. I still play it every chance I get, but it will never be the same as that one Austin night in 2004. Yellow Ledbetter
3. Maroon 5. She Will Be Loved - Inside joke. Only Adriana gets to know. She Will Be Loved
4. Madonna- Music. This song came around during some very good times in college. It will always bring a goofy fun smile to my face. Madonna-Music
5. Quad City DJ's - The Train Song. Every Chi Omega at Eastern New Mexico University knows this song, this dance, and why its awesome. Quad City DJs the Train song
6. Usher - Yeah! I got serenaded by some dudebro to this song in San Angelo. It was a joke the rest of the time I was stationed there. We spent a good part of our time at San Angelo singing Karaoke at Grahams, and this song usually played....constantly Usher. Yeah!
7. Sublime - Santeria. Another song that has just been with me for a good part of my life. Hearing it in California at coffeeshop shows and playing it whenever I gather with good friends, its a good song by one of the best bands of all time.Sublime Santeria
8. Dave Matthews and Tim Reynolds - Live at Luther College. The entire CD makes me feel 21 again.
9. Spice Girls- Wannabe. This song was a favorite song of ours in high school. After we lost a friend to suicide, it took on a different kind of meaning and memory, because she was a huge fan...but there isn't a time when I'm not taken back to 1997 every time I hear that song. Spice Girls Wannabe
10. Live - Selling the Drama. During our Dirty Thirty Road Trip last year, this song kept coming on the Radio. We drove 2000 miles in 5 days, and this song probably played 100 times haha. I love it because it brings me back to the car and the cities we hit while we were there. Live- Selling the Drama
11. Jackson - Johnny Cash and June Carter. Shane and I like to sing this together. With his illustrious banjo and my guitar pickin, it makes for an awesome duet. He's the Johnny to my June. Jackson
12. Forever in my Dreams - Pulp. This is the newest song to my soundtrack. Shane and I were listening and sharing music together last Saturday night, and he sang this song to me and it was amazing. I fell in love with him a little more that night....
This is just a dent in a list of 100's of songs I could probably write about on here, and i'm sure I left some off that I'll remember as soon as I leave my computer...but they are good songs, with good memories attached. They involve my best friend, tragedy, love and even a little anger....but its our music...our moments....our life.
What are some of the songs on the soundtrack to your life????